Re: About pastebin and data files in launchpad questions

I did not mention it explicitly but I think improving "How to ask" includes explaining "how to" avoid extra files in typical cases.
Otherwise it would just discourage people from asking.

I tried to address one possible situation in [1] (avoid saving simulation in one script then reloading in another) and this can be linked in the page. For files with coordinates and radii I think the fix is to replace by makeCloud or hardcode (a limited number of) positions in the script.
The same works for clump members.

To summarize:
* reloading scenes in multi-script context -> can be avoided with [1]
* position files -> makeCloud(seed=..) or hardcode
* clumps -> same as above
* stl mesh -> solutionless (really?)

Do you see other situations? Other kind of solutions?

[1] https://github.com/yade/trunk/blob/master/examples/simple-scene/save-then-reload.py

On 06/29/2018 03:02 PM, Jan Stránský wrote:
I agree too,

I would add a note that the problem might be solved by the process of creating MWE..

> Jan is probably too kind for that ;-)

well, it annoys me more and more, too, so I will at least answer with delay :-)

cheers
Jan

    Hi all,

    I agree Bruno with your description of the annoying extra efforts
    that are required to try to help with such questions. As far as I
    am concerned, I do not try downloading things and help in these
    cases...

    My first suggestion would be to further push users to propose (for
    real !!!) minimal working examples, but I think the only efficient
    way to do this would be not answering many of the questions and
    Jan is probably too kind for that ;-)

    Anyway, I think myself it sounds realistic to ask users to avoid
    extra files in their MWE, and do not have any other suggestions..

    Jérôme

    ------
    Chargé de Recherche / Research Associate
    Irstea, RECOVER
    3275 route de Cezanne – CS 40061 13182 Aix-en-Provence Cedex 5 FRANCE
    +33 (0)4 42 66 99 21