Re: The critical time step?

>>> Bruno, how does this value compare to critical timestep calculated from
>>> elastic wave propagation speed along the particle calculated for
>>> cotinuum, i.e. , which is 2*particle diameter / sqrt(Young's modulus /
>>> density)?

I see how it compares now, with global stiffness approach we have :

- The stiffness of one contact is proportional to D*E  (D : particle
diameter, E elastic modulus)
- The mass of one particle is proportional to density*pow(D,3)

So, if a particle has only one contact, its critical timestep (with
global stiffness approach) will be :
sqrt(mass/stiffness) = D*sqrt(density/E) = your equation.

Advantage :
The underlying physics is the same but your equation is faster.

Potential problems :
-As soon as a particle has two contacts it will explode.
-If shear stiffness is high compared to normal stiffness (unusual
situation in fact), it will explode.

Conclusion : you need to find a reasonable value for a security
coefficient to include in your expression.

Bruno

Chareyre Bruno
Maitre de conference

Institut National Polytechnique de Grenoble
Laboratoire 3S (Soils Solids Structures) - bureau E145
BP 53 - 38041, Grenoble cedex 9 - France
Tél : 33 4 56 52 86 21
Fax : 33 4 76 82 70 43