Re: all yade users, please introduce yourself!

We will experiment, thank you for the tip. I'm not so sure a lot of algebra libraries with parallel features are available.
There is PLENTY! At least those oofem uses are http://glaros.dtc.umn.edu/gkhome/metis/parmetis/overview and

Hehe, I know there are plenty, but Metis is a preconditionner, not a solver, and in fact taucs is using Metis. ;-) I compiled taucs and linked it with the last version of metis. And yes, it works well, but metis is not the fastest preconditionning method for our matrices (in single thread at least). Taucs is actually linking with some of the libraries you see everywhere in algebra web pages (blas, lapack, metis, atlas).

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-2/, which are damn good as far as I know (see also http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-2/miscellaneous/external.html).
We can't use fem/fvolumes and such codes out of the box because we are assembling our won matrice in a non-traditional way. If we use such programms, it is only by calling low level functions, which in many cases means using taucs...

I saw one interesting thing in miscellaneous/external, though :

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/plapack/

taucs is based on lapack, but I don't think it uses plapack. plapack will be something to consider perhaps.
Thanks.

Bruno

Oh, BTW, is there agreement on having useShear by default and
progressively remove prevNormal from various InteractionPhysics classes?
I'd prefer to keep the traditional (Cundall) incremental form for now. The equations are simpler, especially in 3D, so it is easier to understand what happens and implement different laws. I will change my mind one day perhaps, but for now I feel like the incremental form is good enough for dry friction. :)
Ah, nay, there is still misunderstanding here. Read SpheresContactGeometry::updateShear and compare it to updateShearForce. It is the _same_ incremental formulation, but it increments shear _displacement_ (rather than _force_), which is, I think, what most constitutive laws need (even if they are non-linear) and therefore can use. I would like to have that incremental formulas at one place only. (The non-incremental algo is in Dem3Dof* classes and I am quite happy with it.)

Oh ok. So, no problem.
Bruno

--

Chareyre Bruno

Grenoble INP
Laboratoire 3SR - bureau E145
BP 53 - 38041, Grenoble cedex 9 - France
Tél : 33 4 56 52 86 21
Fax : 33 4 76 82 70 43