Re: Sign convention contact laws

Bruno, I still have some doubts ;( I will try to explain myself. What I see regarding the shear force is simply the need of a tangent unit vector exactly for the same reason we define a normal one. The direction of the normal force is not dependent upon which id is which because we define the normal vector, but in the shear direction we are not defining any vector of reference... I can see what you mean in the normal direction but not in the shear one. Can you see my point? Am I completely wrong?
We have 3D space, subdivided into a normal direction (1D), and a shear plane (2D). Why do we split like this? Because we have different kn and ks, and more generally different behaviours in normal and shear. We don't need a unit tangent as long as we have isotropic laws for shear (same ks in all directions). We can always write fs=ks*us whatever the coordinate system, so why not using the global system? Perhaps try to exhibit a precise mathematical problem, for now I don't see any.

Bruno