Re: 'Hanging" particles

If damping is not desirable in your simulation, setting it to 0 should be enough to solve the problem. It doesn't mean there is a problem in Newton integrator itself, and I don't see global damping having a special effect only after many iterations. Energy analysis helps prooving consistency of a model, but it doesn't help finding problems when the result is not consistent. Instead, you should check forces vs. motion, which is more closely linked to the DEM formulation. It is also expected that energy will not be conserved with global damping (except in quasi-static systems).

Bruno

Anton Gladky a écrit :
Well, it is not easy reproduce the problem.
The simulation lasts hours. I will try to "localize" the problem and share the script.
But the problem is definitely in NewtonIntegrator with damping>0.

With damping=0.0 + contact damping there is no problems.

I will try to measure an energy, maybe it will answer some questions.

Thanks
______________________________

Anton Gladkyy

2010/7/5 Janek Kozicki <janek_listy@xxxxx <mailto:janek_listy@xxxxx>>

    Anton Gladky said:     (by the date of Mon, 5 Jul 2010 16:48:40 +0200)

    > I will try "localize" the problem (decrease number of particles,
    simplify
    > the model etc...), but not sure it is easy.

    hm, if you share your script, we will be able to reproduce your
    problem. And reproducing it is the first step to solving it :)

    --
Janek Kozicki http://janek.kozicki.pl/ |

Bruno Chareyre
Associate Professor
ENSE3 - Grenoble INP
Lab. 3SR
BP 53 - 38041, Grenoble cedex 9 - France
Tél : 33 4 56 52 86 21
Fax : 33 4 76 82 70 43