Zim and OneNote

Hi all,

I've been using onenote for a long time on windows, and looking for
something similar on linux, I came to love Zim. Now Zim is available
for windows too... which is a God send. Still, the advantages of
oneNote still outweight the disadvantage (closed source, vendor lock-in).

I just wanted to share my notes on comparing zim and onenote. This is
personal, some features that are important for me will not be for you,
etc.
Anyway, I hope this is useful. Remember that OneNote has the
reputation of being a 'killer app'; some people won't abandon windows
because of onenote. So I'd say that mimiking some features from
OneNote will lure some people to try zim.

Better in Onenote

Important

Overall Organization (tabs, colors, etc). The more pages you have, the
more helpful

Way better search (highlights occurrences globally)

Tables

Paste html, keep format. It also pastes a link to where you copied it
from, and time

Move graphs around

A page can stretch; As big as a whiteboard if needed; one can start
writing on any area, like a whiteboard

Not that important

Audio recording and syncing it with text. Good for taking notes on
lectures

Scans text in pictures. That is, it does an OCR and highlights matches
when searching

Hand-written text recognition

Better in zim

Multi-platform (linux - win)

Can be put on a thumbdrive

Plain text, no vendor lock-in

Tracking changes with a version control system possible

camelCase creates new page

Equation support

Code highlighting possible (GTK after all). Important for a pastebin

Oh! one last comment. The features that I find more important are
actually easier to implement than the ones that I find non-important
(audio, OCR etc). This should be good news.

Best,
- -Jose

- --
Jose Quesada, PhD.
Max Planck Institute, Human Development, Berlin
http://www.josequesada.name/

Follow ups