Re: Discuss wish: Page templates

2009/6/25 Jaap Karssenberg <jaap.karssenberg@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 11:21 AM, Dotan Cohen<dotancohen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> 2009/6/25 Jaap Karssenberg <jaap.karssenberg@xxxxxxxxx>:
>>> Then the next question is how to show these special namespaces in the
>>> interface. Should they be part of the index tree or should they have
>>> their own tree. If so, should both trees be visible in the side pane,
>>> should they be switchable ? etc.
>>>

>> The templates most certainly should not be in the tree, no matter
>> what! The trash could be in the tree, I suppose, but it should be
>> distinguishable as a "special" branch. Maybe an icon, and having it at
>> the bottom of the tree always.
>
> For sure we need some kind of tree view for Trash, as it can contain a
> sub-tree. With the proposal to have a separate side-pane view for this
> it would have it's own tree, which may be more clearly separated from
> the rest of the index.

I bug 3366813 is implemented then the trash could go on the left:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/zim/+bug/366813

That would also make a single trash for all notebooks, which I think
is a very clean solution in this case. The trash is not used so often
where each notebook needs it's own trash, there would be more trash
folders than actual pages in the trash in that case!

> My first though was that templates would also require a tree, but I
> realize this is not the case. The template list can be a flat list. In
> that case a separate dialog to edit them is feasible. Still the editor
> used would be the same as is used for "normal" pages. Would need some
> progression on detaching an editor widget from the main application.

I think that having a tree of templates is going too far. A flat list is fine.

>>> I can imagine to have a dropdown at the top of the side pane which
>>> allows switching between "index" and "templates". Also "thrash" could
>>> be in this dropdown as well as a view for "search". Alternatively this
>>> could be done with vertical tabs along the side pane - but I feel that
>>> might take up too much space.
>>>

>> I don't really like this idea. It is inconsistent with other
>> applications' behaviour and sounds intrusive.
>
> I see a lot of KDE application that either use a dropdown or vertical
> tabs to switch views in a side pane. Maybe templates do not belong in
> there, but search for sure is there for many applications, and thrash
> also seems to fit nicely there.

Kate does have tabs going down the side which is similar I suppose.
What other KDE apps have such a dropdown list? I'd like to look at the
implementation.

> All in all the full implementation is getting much more complex than
> the original proposal from Vlastimil. Someone would need to invest
> time to make it happen - preferably on the python code tree. At the
> moment I'm struggling to get that project back on target - so zero
> space in my planning at this moment.

Should we wait until the feature can actually be implemented before
discussing further? A lot could change between now and the time when
implementation is possible!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com