Re: Online storage

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 6:18 PM, Svenn Are Bjerkem
<svenn.bjerkem@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2009/11/20 Roberto Suarez Soto <robe@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> El día Fri, 20 Nov 2009 10:38:53 +0100, Pablo Angulo <pablo.angulo@xxxxxx>
>> escribía:

>>> What's the advantage of rsync+ssh with respect to ssh alone (mounting
>>> remote folders with sftp)?
>>
>>        Sending and receiving differences instead of whole files. Imagine you
>> have a 5MB document and you change just a couple lines. With ssh alone,
>> you'd send the whole 5MB again; with rsync, you'll send just the differences.
>
> I have been using Unison for syncing my zim notebooks (and also other
> work files) for a while. http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/.
> My use case is one main server and several clients, and I see some
> merge problems when work on clients diverge compared to the server,
> but this may be solved by zim pushing data frequently as long as
> network is available. My problem rise when I forget to sync data from
> one client when I work on a different client. (one pc in lab and one
> pc in the office) When the unison syncing is done manually, I very
> often forget to sync in the heat of the fight. There is not much
> penalty in checking for updates or pushing updates, so zim could maybe
> push as often as it does internal saving, then, at least for
> one-man/many-clients the chance of concurrent changes leading to merge
> problems.
>
> --
> Svenn

I am also using unison for sync zim (but I also use Dropbox for
non-personal wiki). The merge problem can be solved by using the
backup & merge function of unison.

Example config:

backup = Name *
backupdir = /home/benlau/.unison/backup/wiki
maxbackups = 10
merge = Name *.txt -> diff3  -L local -L original  -L remote  -m
CURRENT1 CURRENTARCH CURRENT2 > NEW; exit 0