Re: RFC: list of features

--- On Mon, 11/30/09, Brendan Kidwell <snarf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Brendan Kidwell <snarf@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [Zim-wiki] RFC: list of features
> To: "Randomcoder" <randomcoder1@xxxxxxxxx>
> Cc: zim-wiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Monday, November 30, 2009, 5:35 PM
> On Fri, Nov 27,
> 2009 at 8:12 AM, Randomcoder <randomcoder1@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> 2) "Go Dark" mode where some script scans all
> your notes and each link it finds it
>
> fetches from the web
> The suggestions in this thread are good, but if
> anyone wants a quick and dirty solution, I would suggest
> while we wait for someone to step up and write a
> plugin:
>
> 1. Export entire notebook to HTML in
> ~/temp/zim-offline.2. Point a download manager
> such as GWget at file://~/temp/zim-offline and run.
> You'd need to configure it to go no further than one
> link away from localhost and make sure you don't try to
> download the whole Internet.
>
> Disclaimer: I don't know exactly how to do
> step 2 with GWget. The only web crawler I know is a non-free
> app for Windows called TelePort Pro, which I would highly
> recommend if you want to spend money on such a
> product.
>
> Brendan Kidwell

For the process in step 2, above - i.e. synchronize the local, generated HTML with the htdocs folder on the server - I use rsync under Bash (under either Cygwin or Linux).  The biggest problem I have with that is remembering which command line switches to use.

Something like

 rsync -e ssh path user@host:/path

will do the synchronization over SSH, and if you use ssh-agent, .ssh/authorized-keys, etc you can can authenticate transparently using a key-pair, so it is a single command line to update the server.

I'm thinking a Zim plugin to automate that process might be good at least until I can get SSHFS working reliably under WinXP.

On the Linux box, it's possible to map the Zim working directories to a FUSE file system which can be mounted using sshfs and the ssh-agent key management (for transparency).