Re: 1:1 vs. piped links

--- On Sun, 11/22/09, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [Zim-wiki] 1:1 vs. piped links
> To: "Zim" <zim-wiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Sunday, November 22, 2009, 7:43 PM
> > I think it should be a switch -
> a button on the toolbar that toggles the functionality on
> and off like the "read-only" toggle.   There should be a
> keystroke for it, too, of course.
> >

> This ssounds like the best solution. I personally would
> prefer that
> there be no label for links: URLs are typed as they are,
> and Zim would
> autmatically make them clickable links. But I understand
> that not
> everyone would prefer that.

I tend to be against lists, generally, since "list" almost always implies "menu" of some kind when used in a UI context.  Still, it is something that I've noticed before that hyper-links generally are limited by the fact that they only [easily] store a single link target.  That's a markup-design issue, however, and probably will not be solved here.  I'm liking the idea that was brought up by another poster of making the markup/format input subject to different "undo" rules than are currently used in Zim; I.E. Allow the Ctl-Z keystroke to undo "Create Link" separately from the keystroke that generated the Create Link operation...

> > I'm finding that I'm spending a lot of time going back
> and removing GUI-generated links (in Zim) - more time doing
> that, in fact, than I would "manually" entering links to
> begin with.
> >

> I agree, it is a terrible time waster.
>

> > What I would like to have (to do, perhaps) with the
> Zim GUI is what was suggested regarding a checkbox or radio
> button that will turn the auto-linking associated with CaML
> case on/off.
> >

> Are you referring to internal links, or external links?

Internal, mostly, although the level of weirdness seems to increase as I start linking files and URLs...

> I would personally prefer that there be no support for internal
> links, as I use CaMeL case for code variables and I store code examples
> in Zim. I do not use internal linking in Zim.

I use a naming convention that fits quite well with Zim's internal linking scheme - the variable name typically links to documentation for that data.

I started doing that with function and module names, and started wondering how hard it would be to store .php source files directly in Zim - use it as a sort of code editor and IDE -

At the risk of seeming over-analytical:  The whole issue of the Zim UI - and editor user interfaces more generally - seems to me to be an issue of using on set of symbols to display and possibly format another set of symbols without overloading any particular symbols in either with unresolvable ambiguity - without the two sets of symbols conflicting.