Re: Zim 0.47 released !

On 7 June 2010 10:27, Jaap Karssenberg <jaap.karssenberg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 8:57 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> The Add Note feature is great, but it suffers from these issues:
>>
>> 1) It requires the user to specify a top-level page and a subpage. If
>> the top-level page were remembered across usage like the Notebook were
>> then it would be better. Best would be if the sub-page was also
>> optional, such that if it were not entered then it would be
>> auto-generated or the content appended to the last-used page.
>
> The namespace where the new note is created is remembered per
> notebook. Please file a bug report if this is broken.

Thanks, filed here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/zim/+bug/590655

I opened Zim in English to get the right names of things, not like the
mess I wrote here!

>> 2) Lists are not auto-parsed, that is entering "[] hello" does not
>> turn into a list item.
>
> The window is not a editor window, it does not support formatting etc.
> it is just for quickly dropping some text. Of course it could be
> extended to a full editor, but that is a bit more work to implement.

I was expecting it to be parsed when it was submitted as it was not
parsed when I entered the text.

> In the last discussion we had about wiki syntax you argued wiki syntax
> should not be interpreted automatically for pasted text.

You are right, but here is a distinction. For one, the user does not
see this as a paste operation. For another, the parsing of [] at the
beginning of a line as an indicator of what the line represents is
different than parsing arbitrary text in the middle of the line.
Lastly, my previous sentence is hair-splitting and really it would be
best if each individual parse could be configured as per the user's
needs.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/zim/+bug/590658

>> 4) If a top-level page and subpage combination already exists, the
>> subpage name is then the combination of the two. For instance, if "1
>> -> 2" already exists and the user enters those values, then the new
>> page name will be "1 -> 1 2"
>
> If the page already exists a number as attached to make it unique.
> Works for me. Please fiole a bug report if this is broken.

After playing with it some more I see how it works, it is coincidence
that I was also using numbers to test! Here is an RFE for what, in my
opinion, would be a better solution:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/zim/+bug/590661

>> Maybe some more, but these are the major issues that I found within
>> the first ten minutes of playing with it.
>
> Well the feature was available for testing for some weeks already and
> my testing does not show any issues. Please file a bug report per
> issue with details on how to reproduce them.

I know, I am guilty of not testing! You know how much I love and
appreciate Zim, I only wish that I could have gotten around to testing
it first. It seems that each release I have _less_ time on my hands,
not more! I seriously respect you Jaap and other Zim contributors for
the time that you make to work on this excellent application.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com