Re: zim on n900 using fossil for sync works nice - and some comments ...

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 5:19 PM, matt welland <matt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> First - my thanks to Jaap and the developers of zim and to Miguel for
> the n900 port. Zim seems to be just the ticket for my needs. I love that
> I can take notes on my n900 and then sync to my desktop and netbook.
>
> I'm using zim on my n900 synced to two other computers using fossil
> (www.fossil-scm.org) to do the sync/revision control. I've only been
> using it for a couple days but no significant problems so far. I'll be
> testing syncing to zim on windows over the weekend.
>
> Does anyone else on the list use fossil and would integrating fossil as
> a supported scm be used by anyone?

Hadn't heard of this one before - so guess not too many users yet - or
maybe I just missed it.

To integrate it in the version control plugin have a look at the code for
the bazaar module and replace the bazaar commands with fossil commands.
Should not be to hard.

> To sync on the n900 all I do is:
>
> fossil update
> fossil addremove
> fossil ci -f -m "addremove and commit zim data"
>
> The fossil autosync does the rest. Proper integration with zim would be
> nice but so far isn't really necessary.

How does the autosync work - does it take care of conflicts as well ?

> What would be cool I think would be configurable sync script with
> button. You enter the sync script name in the configuration panel and
> then a button becomes available on the button bar which when pushed
> saves any changes and then calls the sync script. Would that be
> generally useful to others?
>
> One minor issue I've noticed is that zim is very slow to notice that
> files have changed underneath it. I've tried ^R to refresh on the n900
> but it doesn't seem to see the changes until I've clicked on several
> items.

You mean updates in the page index ?  In that case try Tools -> Update
Index to re-scan the folder.

> Lastly fossil has a built in wiki and ticket system. If zim supported
> the fossil wiki format as an option then zim pages would both be
> controlled by and browsable from fossil via the ui and web serving.

That would be a nice option - what is the wiki format ?  And how does fosil
determine what files are wiki content and what are not ?