Re: Zim .54 on Windows Vista Doesn't Start

Okay, second try...

web page: http://www.glump.net/software/zim
desktop install:
http://www.glump.net/content/zim/Zim-setup-0.54win2_2012-02-17.exe
portable install:
http://www.glump.net/content/zim/ZimDesktopWikiPortable_0.54win2.paf.exe

My build from last month that's giving some of you trouble was done
with Windows 2008. I suspect some magic is preventing me from making a
stable build in Windows 2008 which will run on Windows 7 and Windows
XP in some cases.

I found an clean Windows XP SP3 VM from last September which had only
IE 8 installed. I Windows Updated it, backed it up, and cloned it.

Virtual Machine A: I downloaded the exact source code I used last
month ( lp:~bkidwell/zim/pyzim-win-installer rev 470 -- which has
since been merged into the trunk). I ran the build. I copied the
installers out of this VM.

Virtual Machine B: (Has no Python or GTK or anything on it.) I tried
each of the two builds I just made. I rolled back to a clean snapshot
before each try. Both installers worked and I was able to open and
edit notebooks.

If you had trouble with my first Zim 0.54 for Windows build, please
try the following:
* Download your preferred installer from the URLs above -- portable or
desktop -- and run it, replacing what you have.
* If that doesn't run, try running Windows Update until you have no
more required updates to install including all available Service
Packs.
* If it still doesn't work, are you using an older version of Internet
Explorer on Windows XP? If this is a problem, I have no idea why it's
a problem, but I had Windows XP SP3 and IE 8, and it worked.

I hope this helps.

Brendan Kidwell