Re: Bug in 0.57? Empty space and "close" button above pane

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 1:36 AM, Adam Porter <adam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 1:07 AM, Jaap Karssenberg
> <jaap.karssenberg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> This is not a bug, with the new interaction model we must have a close
>> button for each side pane. I admit it would be nicer to make it more
>> compact, so I'm open to suggestions how to position the button better.
>> Note that if you don't have a widget on top, the same space is used to
>> put also the label of the side pane contents, so it is less redundant.
>
> I understand.  I moved the calendar to the bottom and then the close
> button was next to the tabs and didn't use any extra space.  But would
> it be possible to just deactivate the panes through the View menu
> instead of having the close button?  It doesn't seem to me that one
> would be closing the panes very often, anyway.  Not to toss aside your
> hard work... :)

I considered that, but decided against it after looking at other
applications. Almost any application with panes that can close or hide
has either a close button or an folding arrow. So I figured users will
expect this and I don't want to break the pattern. Also from a
"discoverability" point of view I think it is better to have a direct
button rather than hiding it in a menu.

What may help is to actually put the close button in the widget
itself, next to the label with today's date. But that requires a bit
more sophistication in the framework.