Re: Port to Qt

On 20 March 2015 at 09:07, Jaap Karssenberg <jaap.karssenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> For mobile versions I have more faith in HTML5 based solutions. So on my
> side I will not invest time in other toolkits.

I am probably getting too old because I don't understand what you mean by
HTML5 solutions. All I know is that the HTML solutions for wikis were
textarea and cgi to put data on the server. Maybe the '5' in HTML5 makes
the difference, but I don't know what that implies.

I have recently started to use Codiad for sharing editing of files accross
my various platforms, and I like it. This is kind of old-school ajax with
php and javascript, but it is an editor with a native file structure on the
server. The server is self-hosted because Codiad is free beer and speach so
I don't have to bother about lock-in stragegies of Google or Apple. When I
use Codiad to work on my various code and text, I often think that this
would also be a great platform for a desktop wiki like zim if the file
system is anyway shared on something like seafile, sparkleshare or
owncloud. It is a GUI in the browser.

As a desktop wiki, I find zim almost feature complete (except for hijacking
.txt for its own purpose) and moving from gtk2 to gtk3 is just going with
the development of gtk. Those who have ported from qt3 to qt4 to qt5 know
that that is not just a walk in the park. I am afraid that mixing in iOS
and Android will just cripple zim to become something totally different,
and less useful, than the zim we have today.

--
Svenn