Re: Spell Check Plugin Interface and Dependencies

On 06/03/2017 11:54 AM, JP Vossen wrote:
On 06/02/2017 06:51 PM, Bo Grimes wrote:
Well, as I said earlier, I have a laptop with Mint 18.1 on it. I rarely use it, but eventually was going to install Zim for when I do. So, I followed the instructions here:https://github.com/jaap-karssenberg/zim-wiki/wiki/Ubuntu-PPA

Same problem. Spell check works fine, but the interface is in Spanish. Although, again, even though I set the dictionary to en-us, I still have to select English (American) in the right click menu.

First time and only instance of Zim on that laptop, only python-gtkspellcheck, no gtkspell, only English dictionaries.
Wow, you've got me then...

Sorry,
JP

It's an entirely manageable problem, in itself. It would be niggling to press on, but, of course, that's the curse side to the gift of the tinkerer personality I suppose. Just out of curiosity, I noticed on theUbuntu-PPA page that libgtkspell0 is recommended because "GtkSpell provides word-processor-style highlighting and replacement of misspelled words in a GtkTextView widget. Right-clicking a misspelled word pops up a menu of suggested replacements."

On my laptop I had just followed this advice: sudo apt-get install graphviz ditaa texlive dvipng gnuplot scrot libgtkspell0

So I decided to remove it. Afterwards, two questions arose. First, spell check in Zim worked the same without it, so what is it's point?

Second, what the heck? Why did it remove inkscape, geany, pidgen, tomboy and slypheed? I use none of them, except Tomboy, so I let it and then reinstalled Tomboy, which didn't, then, pull it back in as a dependency.

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required: geany-plugin-addons geany-plugin-autoclose geany-plugin-automark geany-plugin-codenav geany-plugin-commander geany-plugin-ctags geany-plugin-debugger geany-plugin-defineformat geany-plugin-devhelp geany-plugin-doc geany-plugin-extrasel geany-plugin-gendoc geany-plugin-geniuspaste geany-plugin-git-changebar geany-plugin-insertnum geany-plugin-latex geany-plugin-lipsum geany-plugin-lua geany-plugin-macro geany-plugin-miniscript geany-plugin-multiterm geany-plugin-numberedbookmarks geany-plugin-overview geany-plugin-pairtaghighlighter geany-plugin-pg geany-plugin-pohelper geany-plugin-prj geany-plugin-projectorganizer geany-plugin-py geany-plugin-scope geany-plugin-sendmail geany-plugin-shiftcolumn geany-plugin-spellcheck geany-plugin-tableconvert geany-plugin-treebrowser geany-plugin-webhelper geany-plugin-xmlsnippets libcompfaceg1 libctpl2
  libgsl2 libonig2 libpisock9
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
geany-plugin-vc geany-plugins inkscape libgtkspell0 pidgin pidgin-libnotify sylpheed
  sylpheed-plugins tomboy
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 9 to remove and 9 not upgraded.
After this operation, 99.9 MB disk space will be freed.

I consider this issue resolved, so don't worry about it. I am just curious what libgtkspell0 is in relation to python-gtkspellcheck, if any, and why removing a lib I *just* installed would remove so many packages that pre-existed it.

Cheers,
Bo Grimes