using virtualenv or pipenv? (Was: Zim release 0.69 and plan for 0.70)

I mitigated and closed the issue below by taking advantage of virtualenv.
This was my first time using it. I started trying to use pipenv but it was choking on something related to pygobject. I was able to get around that by way of virtualenv: `/usr/local/bin/python2 -m virtualenv --system-site-packages --python=python2 env`.

In any case, I know very little about python packaging, but wouldd it be possible to upgrade beyond the setup.py into something like pipenv or virtualenv? Different platforms might still have different C packages with different names, but could this help with the pip version 2 vs 3 stuff?