Re: Searching on the server

I CANT BELIEVE I JUST THOUGHT OF THIS.

So, y'all, I teach in the MSIT at Florida State University, and this semester is my Advanced Web Applications class.  Broadly, it ends up being a VERY language agnostic class because our student pool is varied in terms of skill (FSU is weird, our Computer Science dept is completely separate from our Information/IT School, and I'm in the latter).  I personally have a very wide-but-SHALLOW knowledge about languages and frameworks (right now we still default to PHP + a little mostly vanilla JS because that's what I know how to do, despite all the frameworky stuff out there)

Either way, though, I'd LOVE to point some of my students in the direction of some sort of web and/or mobile interface to Zim. It really does seem like it shouldn't be that hard especially if you consider the possibility of not really interacting with Zim-native's internal database, just do "the files" and perhaps spin up a separate one if needed. That, for me, has always been the beauty of Zim - the flat files. The db isn't "primary" and can be reloaded/destroyed whatever. I occasionally have cheated on Zim with org-mode. naughty-naughty, and that factor -- the ability to create multiple types of interfaces (orgzly, organice, etc etc) because of the simplicity of the filesystem.

Anyway, this is part cheerleading and part volunteer from someone who'd love to see more of this.

John
jrm4.com