Re: [Ayatana] Making workspaces great (branched from "Farewell to the notification area")

On 23 April 2010 14:17, Roth Robert <evfool@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have just been looking at the gnome-shell wikis, and I have found some
> mockups for suggested window management. I think the idea is quite good,
> could replace the workspaces. Someone has already sent a mail with a mockup
> similar to these, but this is a bit more detailed... check them out.
> http://live.gnome.org/GroupBasedWindowManagement

That's basically what I was saying (and implementing). Although I fail
to see what the advantage of re-ordering the groups would be, dragging
the windows between them would be enough IMO.

The other part of my idea is to merge the concepts of old style system
tray icons (e.g. one click to maximize/minimize) with pinned
application windows (e.g. those that appear on all desktops). I think
we can treat these in the same way and they can form a special "Pinned
apps" group like the ones in the mockup. This will allow to nicely
handle apps that don't support indicators, and also Wine applications
that use XEmbed. However, I'm not keen on allowing menus - I don't
wanna recreate the old notification area - so Wine compatibility still
needs some thought.

I've attached a screenshot of what I have so far. It currently only
scans the workspaces at start up (it doesn't listen for window actions
yet) and only works with Compiz disabled because Compiz treats its
multiple workspaces as one really big one which means I need to do
some programmatic trickery to determine where windows actually are.
Still, WIP.

Luke.