Re: [Ayatana] Default to single click to open files and folders

I'm curious to how "pure" this discussion is.  Is the aim of Ayatana simply to provide the most intuitive design ever, or does it take into account how things are done in Windows and Mac and make reservation for it?

Single-click to open is the reason I immediately dismissed Mepis in 2005 and ended up with Ubuntu.  Only much later did I discover that KDE offers the ability to change this behaviour.  But it was the default behaviour that turned me away.

Also, I'm a Windows user for roughly 9 hours of my (working) day.  Then I come home to a house I've fully converted to Ubuntu Lucid.  I need consistency.  This is, for example, why my window controls are back on the right and that's why they'll stay there until Microsoft decide to offer the left as an option.

I don't want to sound to knee-jerk here, but some things need to be put into the context of the wider world.  It's already been said by Conscience, I believe, but if this change comes through, you'd better be incredibly confident about its implementation!

First impressions and consistency.  This counts for a lot and I get the impression from the short time I've been following this list that it's greatly underestimated.

Neil.