Re: [Ayatana] Messaging Menu and the MeMenu

...and then hide away in the corner unless/until you want to recall it.

This, essentially, is Gnome Shell's approach to notifications.

If the messaging app/service pops up a notification bubble including the message, this achieves a similar result in Unity and Shell: see the message, then hide.

However, Unity truncates all notifications to 10 lines. By contrast, Shell truncates to one line, but expands fully on hover/touch.

Shell is also better at using animation to show where the message went. Sabdfl's early mock-up of notify-osd included a zoom effect, which would do the trick for Unity.

On 24 Oct 2010 23:02, "David Hamm" <davidthamm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>>"Consider it "conversations""

and thats just it, a conversation shouldn't be nestled behind two clicks in a menu on the top right of the screen.

I'd rather have the message just pop up in front of me then have to go through a menu. That is about as close to real life as you can get.