asus-ul30 team mailing list archive

Re: Asus UL30Jt Nvidia GeForce 310M restricted driver issues on an AMD64 system

Hi,

Thanks Bill!
In the BIOS I have a SATA Configuration option (under Advanced) where I
can choose between AHCI and IDE. Currently the AHCI option is selected.
I do have another option "Boot VGA Controller Selection for" with the
options "Windows 7/Vista" and "Other". The option "Windows 7/Vista" is
selected. Selecting the "Other" option gives an almost invisible screen
on my current setup without the restricted drivers enabled.

So I'm not sure whether setting the SATA controller to compatible
applies to my Asus ul30Jt, as I don't see that option.

Besides that, what would be the benefit when I enable the restricted
Nvidia drivers? My screen looks pretty good already right now. I was
hoping to extend my batery life by using the restricted Nvidia drivers,
but has anyone some info whether that really is the case?

Any further help greatly appreciated. I haven't been using Ubuntu the
past few years, but instead used Debian and Gentoo, and lost my way
around in Ubuntu a bit.
But I'm very impressed by Lucid Lynx, and happy to switch to Ubuntu
again ;-)!

Thanks,
Jarra