bugsquad-mentorship-group-alpha team mailing list archive

Re: Working as a team on Nautilis

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 10:45:16AM -0700, Brian Murray wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 09:59:50AM -0700, Joseph Areeda wrote:
> > Thanks C!  More tools to find what I'm looking for.
> >
> > To continue my newbie self education by displaying my ignorance
> > (there's plenty).
> >
> > Here's and easy Nautilus bug #731481
> > <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/731481> the
> > user reports ctrl-T doesn't open a new tab for him.
>
> Yes, this does look a good one to start off with.
>
> > The obvious step #1 is to repeat it.  Well it works find for me so
> > step 2 is to find out what's different.
>
> I'd add a comment similar to the following:
>
> I tried recreating this bug with Natty Narwhal (11.04) and with nautilus
> version 1:2.32.2.1-0ubuntu11 and was unsuccessful.  My new tab loaded
> quite quickly and looked the same as the first.
>
> > He reports:
> > >Ubuntu 10.10 - »Maverick Meerkat
> > >nautilus:
> > >  Installiert: 1:2.32.0-0ubuntu1.3
> > >  Kandidat: 1:2.32.0-0ubuntu1.3
> > >  Versionstabelle:
> > > *** 1:2.32.0-0ubuntu1.3 0
> > >        500 http://mirror.informatik.uni-mannheim.de/pub/linux/distributions/ubuntu/
> > >maverick-updates/main i386 Packages
> > >
> > >to be expected: a new display within the same window
> > >
> > >what happened: a afunctional display while loading does not stop
> > >
> > >ProblemType: Bug
> > >DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.10
> > >Package: nautilus 1:2.32.0-0ubuntu1.3
> > >ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-27.48-generic 2.6.35.11
> > >Uname: Linux 2.6.35-27-generic i686
> > >NonfreeKernelModules: fglrx
> > >Architecture: i386
> > >Date: Tue Mar 8 18:28:01 2011
> > >ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/nautilus
> > >ProcEnviron:
> > > PATH=(custom, no user)
> > > LANG=de_DE.utf8
> > > SHELL=/bin/bash
> > >SourcePackage: nautilus
> >
> > How do you get all that information?
>
> All of that information was gathered via the bug reporting process -
> they likely used 'ubuntu-bug nautilus'.  However, you don't need to add
> all that information.
>
> > I know there are several differences between his setup and mine such as:
> >
> > I'm using amd64 architecture vs i686, my kernel is .49 vs .48, I
> > have nVidia prop drivers vs his ATI.
>
> These probably aren't relevant.  I'm not quite certain where to go from
> here myself, some things that come to mind though are:
>
> What folder is the new tab trying to load?
> What configuration values are there for Nautilus could it be one of
> those? (I'd experiment on my own rather than ask.)
>
> Also given the fact that there are detailed steps to recreate it I'd
> search for any other open nautilus bugs that sound the same.  Please
> double check before marking one as a duplicate of another though.

Looking at the bug again I noticed some attachments which might provide
hints in recreating the bug.  They are GConfNonDefault.xt and
usr_lib_nautilus.txt.  The former one has information about Nautilus
settings and the latter has some information about packages they have
installed.  You might check to see if you have the same ones installed.

--
Brian Murray
Ubuntu Bug Master