bugsquad-mentorship-group-alpha team mailing list archive

Re: Working as a team on Nautilis

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 12:57:54PM -0700, Joseph Areeda wrote:
> Brian,
> Thank you for participating with suggestions.  I know this bug would
> be much easier to do yourself than to teach me how.
>
> Please think about  the "gvie the man a fish vs teaching him how to
> fish" aphorism.

I thought I was.

> Please see comments intermixed.
>
> On 03/29/2011 10:45 AM, Brian Murray wrote:
> >
> >I'd add a comment similar to the following:
> >
> >I tried recreating this bug with Natty Narwhal (11.04) and with nautilus
> >version 1:2.32.2.1-0ubuntu11 and was unsuccessful.  My new tab loaded
> >quite quickly and looked the same as the first.
> >
> It appears to me that there is great value in trying to reproduce
> these bugs in the latest release first rather than try to match
> versions.

Any help that you can provide is appreciated, whether it be testing with
the release the bug is reported about or a later one.

> I've  been having a heck of a fight with Natty on my desktop.  Much
> better luck in a virtual Box VM.
>
> Furthermore there seems to be other advantages to a VM.  #1 protects
> my system from accidentally uncovering a real nasty and #2 a bug
> that is reproduced from a relatively clean install is easier to find
> than one on a system with years of incremental updates.
>
> Do you see any issues with  bug-squading in a VM?

Only that one would not be able to work on hardware specific bug
reports.

> >All of that information was gathered via the bug reporting process -
> >they likely used 'ubuntu-bug nautilus'.  However, you don't need to add
> >all that information.
> >
> Actually I was more interested in comparing the environment of the
> bug report to the environment I am using to test.  My brief look at
> ubuntu-bug and apport-collect man pages didn't come up with an easy
> way to produce a report like that.

'ubuntu-bug nautilus' will gather information about your system and
nautilus.  You'll receive a dialog asking if you want to send the report
to the developers and there is a "Content of the report" option.  If you
expand that you can see the same information the reporter submitted.
However, please don't report a bug! ;-)

> >These probably aren't relevant.  I'm not quite certain where to go from
> >here myself, some things that come to mind though are:
> >
> >What folder is the new tab trying to load?
> >What configuration values are there for Nautilus could it be one of
> >those? (I'd experiment on my own rather than ask.)
> >
> >Also given the fact that there are detailed steps to recreate it I'd
> >search for any other open nautilus bugs that sound the same.  Please
> >double check before marking one as a duplicate of another though.
> >
> I don't have a lot more time today but will see if I can tie this
> into any other bug reports tomorrow.  That does seem like a good
> practice.  I will probably search the forums also which is what I'd
> do if it were my bug report.
>
> >Looking at the bug again I noticed some attachments which might provide
> >hints in recreating the bug.  They are GConfNonDefault.xt and
> >usr_lib_nautilus.txt.  The former one has information about Nautilus
> >settings and the latter has some information about packages they have
> >installed.  You might check to see if you have the same ones installed.
> Back to my previous question about gathering system information in a
> convenient form.  Can I get comparable files from my system or do I
> have to compare his GConfNonDefault.xt to the Preferences dialog and
> user_lib_nautilus.txt to dpkg --list on each library package?

Using 'ubuntu-bug nautilus' will have this information.

> Thanks again.  I am making progress in understanding what to do,
> even though that might be hard to tell from my questions.

No problem, we are happy to help.

--
Brian Murray
Ubuntu Bug Master