Re: Another kind of package.

On 4/6/2010 2:23 PM, Garrett Serack wrote:

Bottom Poster!???!! Arg! I preferred bottom-posting, but in my world, it's just not done.

Heh - in the open source world you get your head taken off for it (sigh)

Don't really think it matters - but personally it IS nice to have all your versions in one directory ;) just a nicer way to look at them in my mind

>> To further complicate things there is the idea of things in the PHP that script libraries like PEAR and Zend Framework... Ah. Yes.Hmmm. How about ...\libraries\<vendor>\<package-version> for shared 'web libraries' like PEAR.
This makes the tree (and increases the necessity for \sites , \applications and \libraries)

inetpub
├───applications
│   ├───CoApp
│   │   ├───Gallery-2.0.7
│   │   └───phpBB-3.0.2
│   └───WordPress
│       ├───WordPress-4.3.6
│       └───WordPress-4.3.7
├───libraries
│   ├───Adodb
│   │   └───AdoDB-2.5.6
│   └───Zend
│       └───ZendFrameworks-2.4.1
└───sites
     ├───bar.com
     ├───baz.org
     └───foo.com

Except then you run into things that AREN'T web apps being written in a web language using a library.
PHP-GTK and PyGTK scripts, pyrus/pear packaging code, phpunit test suites
- they all want to use libraries that aren't necessarily confined to web space.

All these dynamic languages make traditional organization pretty hard ;)

Thanks,
Elizabeth M Smith