Re: Fwd: Changing the name of Pantheon Terminal

Just a point to make, Pantheon terminal is only called "Pantheon Terminal" on launchpad. It's called "Terminal" in the interface. Personally, I think it should stay like that.

Also, we would never call things "Pantheon Foo" in the interface. That would just be redundant and in reality most users will probably never know or care that the desktop environment they are running is called pantheon so it's not helpful in any way.

I think there's a strong case to be made for a cross platform app like Midori to keep its branding because of its portable nature. Same with BeatBox; this app is much more likely to show up in other distro's repos and these are apps that users will probably spend a lot of time in and develop strong opinions about.

However for an app like Dexter or Switchboard that functions as more of a part of the system than a "real app" (and for which many users of other desktops will likely have an equivalent that probably blends in and makes more sense on their desktop) it may be advantageous to simply refer to them as "Contacts" and "System Settings".

I'm not terribly concerned with how these apps appear on other desktops because the packaging will almost certainly be different. As a distributor, we may want some of our apps to have generic names on our platform and in our repos. But if Dexter or Switchboard or Pantheon Terminal were packaged in Ubuntu's or Fedora's repos they would probably be referred to by their branded names in those packages and not by generic names.

Best Regards,
Daniel Foré

www.elementaryos.org