Re: Creating application

> Do you think it's a good idea to use C++ with gtk+ ?
> Do you use something special for the UI on Elementary OS ?

It is certainly possible, but it is recommended that you use Vala. This is
the language of choice for developing applications for elementary, and is a
very nice and simple language, and more convenient than C++ in many places.
I picked it up easily knowing C++ and not Java or C#. See this answer for
more information: http://elementaryos.org/support/answers/1464
You can learn Vala from here: https://live.gnome.org/Vala/Tutorial
If you still decide to use C++, you're looking for the C++ binding for Gtk,
called Gtkmm http://www.gtkmm.org/en/

Regarding the UI of elementary apps, there is a library that extends GTK,
called Granite, that is commonly used in elementary applications:
http://valadoc.elementaryos.org/Granite/index.htm
AFAIK there is currently no easy way to use this from C++ so that might be
another reason to use Vala.