Re: Mir Discussion with Jono

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 2:10 PM, cameron <camerontnorman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> "I can tell you right now we'd have no intention of making Qt run on it."
>
> You would probably have no expectation of making KDE run on it, though. It
> is an odd stance Canonical is taking. They want elementary OS (and other
> spins) to use Mir, but they put no effort into supporting the toolkits (and
> other needs) of these derivatives.

To be clear: we want to provide as much help and guidance as possible to
help all distros and upstreams explore Mir as a display server that may
work well for them. Mir is going to ship in 13.10 as a well supported
stable display server, and in 14.04 we will have it fully supported for
five years. From the perspective of a derivative I think this is an
attractive option for this foundational piece of the stack - it means that
you folks don't have to worry about it.

Canonical has limited engineering resources like any organization, and we
don't have the resources to build Mir support for every toolkit out there.
We would rather focus our efforts on making Mir rock solid and production
ready for 13.10 and then also provide support and guidance for those who do
want to build or integrate Mir support for their distro/upstream. This was
why I wanted to reach out to the team, to see how we can help.

   Jono

--
Jono Bacon
Ubuntu Community Manager