Re: Mir Discussion with Jono

2013/7/13 Sergio Costas <rastersoft@xxxxxxxxx>

> And what about creating a WaylandMir? This is: as there is XMir that
> allows to run X apps over Mir, there should be possible to create a piece
> of code that translates Wayland calls to Mir calls. It should be even
> lighter than XMir because there are a lot of things in X that you must
> implement, even if you don't use them, but Wayland and Mir, conceptually
> are so similar that this should be much easier, and need much less
> resources...

In theory it's possible, but I can't see how it would be useful. Also, it's
probably easier to fork the relevant Wayland rendering code and make it
render to Mir than to translate calls dynamically.

Also, it seems there's significant confusion surrounding X compability
layers. What XWayland does is running tiny rootless per-app X servers and
rendering that to Wayland compositor which may or may not forward the
frames to a system compositor. What Xmir currently does is running
full-blown rooted X servers that render frames to Mir system compositor.
Which compability layer scenario are you suggesting?

OS architect @ elementary