enterprise-ubuntu team mailing list archive

Re: why all the windows stuff? lets move on from legacy integration and do new cool stuff

Hello, guys,

Please, let's not start flame wars, as this is a waste of time.

The group is supposed to be of generic nature - "Ubuntu in the Enterprise". It does not say that you should have Windows AD, OpenLDAP, 389, NDS or anything particular on the backend.

I believe we can share experiences from *any* backend, any infrastructure. My idea is to give honest feedback on how particular tool works with Ubuntu. Perhaps also about some hacks, intermediate tools available to make it work.

I have a number of Microsoft (or MS .NET based) tools that just do not work as they should in Ubuntu. I am not telling any of you to do something about it. I would gladly switch to other tools, though that is also a question of costs.

What I would like to have is a central point of reference. Perhaps something like a "compatibility list" as well, but more thoroughly documented. So, when a company comes in and tries to assess how "healthy" their organisation is with the open standards, they will find the answers in the wiki or in our archive.

Cheers,
Ballock