enterprise-ubuntu team mailing list archive

Re: Sketch

Wow, Bjoern, that was awesome :)

I mean, I had no update on Office compatibility options for quite a long time. Ideally, I would go with migration from MS Office to LibreOffice, wiki, LaTEX, whatever. The choices are really broad, but at this point I need to pick my fights.

Some processes in my company require (more or less) that some documentation is put into a .docx file. Plain dumb, no collaboration option, no way of tracking the latest version, merging changes, whatever. Although I believe I saw some MS Office functionality that allows to keep track of changes, that is used very seldom and is flawed by just the fact that it is optional.

In a perfect world I would be writing text files, merging the branches of that with git and creating PDF documents from that. Sounds much like LaTEX, though I think it should be feasible with wiki-style documents as well. I do not think I saw any Wiki engine that used git as its backend, though. Anyone did?

Office compatibility is actually quite good and I am going to let it be for a while. The Ubuntu to Windows machine balance is 1:34. I am going to advocate it more so it is more recognised before putting any stark conditions.

I know LibreOffice has XML (text) documents as its backend, just zipped. Perhaps LibreOffice already did something like git version control for it?

I have met quite a few people involved in the Linux migration in the City of Munich, both at the LibreOffice conference and at the UDS (they are going to use Ubuntu now). They might share some of their real world experiences. I will ask them to join.

Certianly :) More people, more fun :)

Cheers,
Ballock