enterprise-ubuntu team mailing list archive

Re: Sketch

Hello,

If your goal is not to re-use new technologies in the enterprise, then I have to admit that our points of view are much different. :)
I never define my goals as *not* doing something.

Providing legacy apps remotely does not give a false sense of comfort. I am pretty sure of that after two years since we migrated our first team to our MDC Concept and about 3000 users all around the world already working without complaints and big problems. Especially those problems you mentioned below. Now we are again making a step forward and searching for even more efficient ways of providing virtual apps.

Congratulations on your success on that. Though that means you are still providing *legacy* apps.

Providing them remotely seems to actually be the easiest approach that a company can take with system integration, so I really believe it should be on our agenda.

I do not remember hearing what software was running on your infrastructure servers providing the apps. Is this Citrix, VMware, RedHat or some custom tool? Perhaps you could take care of the wiki content for that part?

As to the goals: I do not feel in position to define goals myself. I would rather have it a cooperation work. Your wiki was a good first step. I would say now it's time what to add missing points and assign priorities. I would also leave place for 2-3 different options / approaches for each point to enable discussion (like the one we are having now). Discussion on technical details of each solution may be done in separate sub-streams. That would be my idea and I am interested in other opinions.

I do not yet know how vital is our community to execute the whole thing. It is a huge effort and I would not like this to be a one-man-fight as it used to be for Chris Rowson back in 2006. I will do my stuff and hope that other people will join in and discuss and add their content.

And last but not least: if you can drive your Ferrari faster at home than at work... well...

I would ask myself if I really need this Ferrari, because the only thing I gain thanks to this nice car is the looks and a speed limit nightmare for 70% of my day time.

It is hard to find a company that offers Ferraris as company cars, but my company at least had a couple of aircrafts. Those were not used commonly, but I made people drive them. No speed limits in the air, though it seems that people don't realise that we can't just open windows in them. :)

(http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/compost/post/mitt-romney-wants-to-know-why-airplane-windows-do-not-open/2012/09/24/1fdf30be-068c-11e2-a10c-fa5a255a9258_blog.html)

Cheers,
Ballock