gnusim8085-devel team mailing list archive

Re: Removing dead code - prime candidates

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 10:19 AM, Onkar Shinde <onkarshinde@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 9:58 PM, Sridhar Ratnakumar
> <sridhar.ratna@xxxxxxxxx> <snip>
> >> 1. GNUSim8085.glade - We don't use this file now. All of the interface
> >> is constructed with the code that lives in src/interface.c
> >
> > src/interface.[c,h] are *auto-generated* files. Glade is supposed to
> > generate them from the *.glade file. Please don't edit it directly, but
> > instead change the .glade file and then have Glade generate the
> > interface.[c,h] files (unless you want to manage the interface files
> > manually, of course - but I believe these autogenerated files are already
> > mess to edit).
> </snip>
>
> I have to say you haven't been paying attention to the code changes. :-P
> I have not used glade since I started working on this project. And all
> the changes I did to interface were direct code changes in
> interface.[c,h]. This includes migration of menus to new GtkActions
> based APIs and UI layout changes.

Yup, my fault.

> I could try to migrate these changes to glade file but frankly I do
> not think it is worth the effort.

Ok.

> Also AFAIK, the method of generating
> code from GladeXML file is deprecated. It is now recommended that
> GtkBuilder APIs be used to read XML and load the interface dynamically
> at runtime.

I see. Well, in that case we could drop the .glade file. An optional
long-term sub-project could be then to refacrtor src/interface.[c,h] to use
these GtkBuilder APIs. If not, at least refactoring src/interface.[c,h] to
be not as intimidating as it is currently ... so as to not discourage new
contributors, would be nice.

-srid