Re: Adding dependency for gtg

Anyway, currently, there's one major concern : Luca cannot undo his merge
because he merged the trunk in his branch, not the opposite.

I reverted Luca's revert as it was undoing everything since the branch
started (including bugzilla and tomboy plugin).

So here, I foresee two solutions :

1) We play bazaar subtleties to try to undo Luca's merge
2) We accept it and try to gradually change the problems.

The only drawback of solution 2 is that, for now, the trunk depends on
cheetah.

I think my previous mail regarding bzr rules should be put on the wiki to
avoid this situation in the future. I'm a bit surprised that bzr allows to
change the history so easily. It already happened a lot of times (I even
did it myself) but it not so annoying because it was only tiny changes.

So, to all committers : be sure to read and to understand my previous mail
about bzr.

Lionel

PS : Luca, don't worry about that. Not a great deal. Only those who don't
make anything don't make mistakes. We only have to be careful so it doesn't
happen anymore in the future.

On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 10:41:49 +0100, Bertrand Rousseau
<bertrand.rousseau@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Well my point is more that I think we could do this without needing
> cheetah, or at least I would like first to know what future
> functionalities could bring cheetah, in a strategic point of view. And
> don't get me wrong: I'd also be very glad to have this in 0.2, and I'm
> ready to help for it.
>
> Among your solutions, my present opinion is to follow number 4: having
> a set of basic templates that don't depend on cheetah, and having a
> separate plugin called "Support for cheetah export templates" that
> would allow powerful export capabilities.
>
> On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 10:21 AM, Lionel Dricot <ploum@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> I'm personally not against the dependency and I definitely hope to see
>> the
>> export feature in 0.2. I don't think that the fact that cheetah is
mainly
>> used for web dev should be a factor. Most users don't understand the
>> dependencies (which user could explain why he needs to install
configobj
>> before installing GTG ?)
>
> Dependencies have/should never been/be a user concern. They are just a
> burden for distribution and maintenance, which also has to come into
> account.
>
>> One easy solution would be to have a plugin.
>>
>> So, for 0.2, I see the following solutions :
>>
>> 1) We drop the export feature (it would be really sad to do that only
>> because of a dependency. I'm strongly against it)
>> 2) We add the dependency and write about it in the release note
>> 3) We put the whole export feature in a plugin (our plugins already
>> handle
>> dependencies)
>> 4) We have the export features works alone but only have some templates
>> depends of cheetah. Those templates could then be packaged as plugins
and
>> their dependencies would be handled automatically.
>> 5) Disable the export feature if cheetah is not found.
>>
>> In fact, the idea I have is to make each export template a plugin. That
>> way, it would be easy for people to develop their own templates and you
>> can
>> imagine more complex templates (with pre and post processing commands).
>>
>> My choices, in order :
>> 4 - but maybe not possible for 0.2
>> 2 - IMHO, export should not be a plugin, it's a core feature
>> 5 - Not discoverable but better than nothing
>> 3
>> 1
>>

>> For now, I'm more concerned about the revert of Luca. Because the
initial
>> merge was a bit unorthodox, are you sure that the revert only reverted
>> your
>> work? Are the other commits (like Kevin fix for drag-n-drop crash)
still
>> in
>> trunk ?  This is, IMHO, way more important than the dependency.
>>
>> Lionel
>>

>> On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 09:56:39 +0100, Bertrand Rousseau
>> <bertrand.rousseau@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > (sorry for the double mail Luca. I always forget to use reply all)

>> > Sure, but this feature doesn't require a full-blown templating system
>> IMHO.
>> > Users could as well create python-based code generators, we could
just
>> > agree
>> > on what data structure is passed, that wouldn't be a lot harder to
do.
>> > Creating such code generator is not complex. I've already done many
>> times
>> > generate simple to complex files.

>> > Well, I certainly think your export feature is awesome. I could try
it
>> some
>> > hours ago, and it sure adds a great potential to GTG (we are clearly
in
>> > need
>> > of an export feature). But for me it's not worth an added dependency.
>> > Besides, as 0.2 is now a matter of days, I don't think it is wise to
>> > add
>> > new dependency now, since that should be more extensively discussed
>> > assess its advantages and inconveniences. So I'm personally more in
>> favor
>> > of
>> > introducing a simple python-based templating system for 0.2, and not
>> > cheetah.

It's