Re: Adding dependency for gtg

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 11:03 AM, Lionel Dricot <ploum@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Anyway, currently, there's one major concern : Luca cannot undo his merge
> because he merged the trunk in his branch, not the opposite.
>
> I reverted Luca's revert as it was undoing everything since the branch
> started (including bugzilla and tomboy plugin).
>
> So here, I foresee two solutions :
>
> 1) We play bazaar subtleties to try to undo Luca's merge
> 2) We accept it and try to gradually change the problems.

Let's go for solution 2, there's no need to loose too much energy in
that, that's not worth it. Besides, let's use this as a motivation to
go forward. However, it could certainly be nice to avoid this in the
future.

> The only drawback of solution 2 is that, for now, the trunk depends on
> cheetah.

If it's fine for everyone I suggest reworking the code to remove
cheetah dependency, and at least, try first to build up a solution not
needing it.

> I think my previous mail regarding bzr rules should be put on the wiki to
> avoid this situation in the future. I'm a bit surprised that bzr allows to
> change the history so easily. It already happened a lot of times (I even
> did it myself) but it not so annoying because it was only tiny changes.
>
> So, to all committers : be sure to read and to understand my previous mail
> about bzr.
>

> Lionel
>
> PS : Luca, don't worry about that. Not a great deal. Only those who don't
> make anything don't make mistakes. We only have to be careful so it doesn't
> happen anymore in the future.
>

> On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 10:41:49 +0100, Bertrand Rousseau
> <bertrand.rousseau@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Well my point is more that I think we could do this without needing
>> cheetah, or at least I would like first to know what future
>> functionalities could bring cheetah, in a strategic point of view. And
>> don't get me wrong: I'd also be very glad to have this in 0.2, and I'm
>> ready to help for it.
>>
>> Among your solutions, my present opinion is to follow number 4: having
>> a set of basic templates that don't depend on cheetah, and having a
>> separate plugin called "Support for cheetah export templates" that
>> would allow powerful export capabilities.
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 10:21 AM, Lionel Dricot <ploum@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm personally not against the dependency and I definitely hope to see
>>> the
>>> export feature in 0.2. I don't think that the fact that cheetah is
> mainly
>>> used for web dev should be a factor. Most users don't understand the
>>> dependencies (which user could explain why he needs to install
> configobj
>>> before installing GTG ?)
>>
>> Dependencies have/should never been/be a user concern. They are just a
>> burden for distribution and maintenance, which also has to come into
>> account.
>>
>>> One easy solution would be to have a plugin.
>>>
>>> So, for 0.2, I see the following solutions :
>>>
>>> 1) We drop the export feature (it would be really sad to do that only
>>> because of a dependency. I'm strongly against it)
>>> 2) We add the dependency and write about it in the release note
>>> 3) We put the whole export feature in a plugin (our plugins already
>>> handle
>>> dependencies)
>>> 4) We have the export features works alone but only have some templates
>>> depends of cheetah. Those templates could then be packaged as plugins
> and
>>> their dependencies would be handled automatically.
>>> 5) Disable the export feature if cheetah is not found.
>>>
>>> In fact, the idea I have is to make each export template a plugin. That
>>> way, it would be easy for people to develop their own templates and you
>>> can
>>> imagine more complex templates (with pre and post processing commands).
>>>
>>> My choices, in order :
>>> 4 - but maybe not possible for 0.2
>>> 2 - IMHO, export should not be a plugin, it's a core feature
>>> 5 - Not discoverable but better than nothing
>>> 3