Re: asus-switcheroo // Asus N53JF

Hello,

I continued testing with both 2.6.38 and 2.6.35 kernels.
First, I run in text mode to avoid using delayed switch.

ON and OFF seem to work (says "switching nouveau on/off"), but have no
effect on battery rate.

Then I start noticing at start some errors that I found back in boot.log :
FATAL: Error inserting asus_switcheroo
(/lib/modules/2.6.38-8-generic/extra/asus-switcheroo/asus-switcheroo.ko):
Invalid module format
FATAL: Error inserting i915_jprobe
(/lib/modules/2.6.38-8-generic/extra/asus-switcheroo/i915-jprobe.ko):
Invalid module format

That happens with both kernels.

Along with that, I find in kernel.log :
Apr 22 14:08:01 bastien-laptop kernel: [    6.746504] vga_switcheroo:
enabled
Apr 22 14:08:01 bastien-laptop kernel: [    7.041372] asus_switcheroo:
disagrees about version of symbol module_layout
Apr 22 14:08:01 bastien-laptop kernel: [    7.042714] i915_jprobe: disagrees
about version of symbol module_layout

Then I tried your little trick for 2.6.38 kernel to delay the loading time
of nouveau.
Unfortunately, in text mode I get stuck when I get to the login prompt. I
had time to type a few characters and then it froze.
Strangely, I have no problem in graphic mode.

But the interesting part is that the "Invalid module format" was gone for
asus_switcheroo. Still here for i915_jprobe though.
So I tried to delay i915 module loading in the same way.
Tried on 2.6.35 first.
That took care of the fatal error on load of the i915_jprobe module, but
text mode is not available anymore.
Starting in text mode leads me to blank screen, switching with Ctrl-Alt-F1
freezes the screen.

On 2.6.38 then... Nothing works. I got a blank screen in both modes. But I
can see the starting logs and I did not see any fatal error while loading
the modules. System is completely crashed.

So, no matter what I try, I could not bring display on discrete, and it
would not power off anymore.

My 2.6.38 being completely unavailable right now, i'll have it load the
modules the old way, but beside that, I'm out of ideas. I guess there's
something wrong with the way the modules are loaded?
Any suggestions?

Thanks for helping.

Bastien.