Re: Loading a web java applet with optirun64/bumblebee

The way I understand it, this technique is essentially using a "remote desktop" technology to access rendered output that would otherwise not be displayed on a monitor. Basically, "run this program and display it on 'this' screen... now copy 'this' screen to the current display." And since it is being addressed this way, only whole windows can go.

Now, there are video overlay techniques that have been used for a very long time that essentially uses dedicated hardware to render video and then passes it through the display hardware through a rectangle of specified size, shape and location. What we need is THAT. If we could use the same means as V4L to pipe the rendered graphics from memory to the active display, then this jpeg stream will not be needed and we should see an even better performance increase.

All of this likely needs lower level work in the X.org project. I recently looked over at what they are doing at X.org about this and so far, it seems like no notice of the hybrid graphics/optimus problem has been taken.

This optirun/bumblebee thing is "the way forward." I have little doubt about that. But it needs to move into the X.org project in some way. This is beyond some clever scripting and utilization of existing technologies which I consider to be "proof of concept." And as proof of concept is concerned, I would say it is proof positive.