Re: Loading a web java applet with optirun64/bumblebee

On Thursday 02 June 2011 03:49 PM, Daniel Hauck wrote:
> The way I understand it, this technique is essentially using a "remote
> desktop" technology to access rendered output that would otherwise not
> be displayed on a monitor.  Basically, "run this program and display it
> on 'this' screen... now copy 'this' screen to the current display."  And
> since it is being addressed this way, only whole windows can go.
>
> Now, there are video overlay techniques that have been used for a very
> long time that essentially uses dedicated hardware to render video and
> then passes it through the display hardware through a rectangle of
> specified size, shape and location.  What we need is THAT.  If we could
> use the same means as V4L to pipe the rendered graphics from memory to
> the active display, then this jpeg stream will not be needed and we
> should see an even better performance increase.
>
> All of this likely needs lower level work in the X.org project.  I
> recently looked over at what they are doing at X.org about this and so
> far, it seems like no notice of the hybrid graphics/optimus problem has
> been taken.

+1

X.Org needs massive changes in the way it handles GPUs if it ever has to
work well with Optimus.

The case is not the same with Wayland. Wayland already has multi-GPU
support built-in. If Ubuntu moves to Wayland soon and nVidia writes
drivers for wayland (they've declined wayland support already, but in
the light of technologies like optimus, they might reconsider their
decision). If this happens then we'll get full optimus support on our
Waylands.

So all we can hope is wait for Ubuntu to implement Wayland, and wait for
nVidia to write a Wayland driver.

OR

Wait for X to improve its stack

OR