Re: Devel list at SF

Vesa Solonen wrote:
On Mon, 8 Dec 2008, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:

I am not particularly fond of having any one who comes along get write
access to the repository. That is a recipe for chaos. The projects
that have scaled well have patch submissions, and they are screened
before they are committed, often being rejected the first time or two
before they are up to snuff.

Free write access wasn't my goal, but just making it easier to see what is going on and getting more discussion up. Naturally if everything is just discussion, nothing gets done...

So while being able to add attachments to an email posting is a step in
the right direction, we can and should do more. A patch should have a
URL so it can be linked to from future messages, commented on, etc.

SF provides such services. Every attacment gets a link, like following:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/attachment.php?list_name=dxr3-devel&message_id=20060126193246.GC4008%40home&counter=1

The tracker UI at sourceforge is atrocious, just terrible. Plus it is slow. ( Vesa- A dedicated DSL line would be an improvement over the actualized speed of page updates we are really seeing, not kidding. )

I personally would not want to and could not spend a lot of time there answering issues and giving feedback.

This needs to be factored into any eventual decision.

Dick