Re: New zoom code musings.

jean-pierre.charras@... wrote:
Dick Hollenbeck a écrit :

Vesa Solonen wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
>

>> Your zoom patch for pcbnew makes the PCBNEW program too slow to use when
>> I have a delay in the drawing due to a large number of zones.
>>

> Yes, that's very noticeable problem. Anyway the real solution is somewhere
> else than on zoom granularity, like threading for rendering...
>

>> Please try out this array for pcbnew and let me know if your feelings
>> would be hurt if we used it instead. The problem again is that it takes
>> too many steps to zoom in.
>>

> How about adding a 'turbo key' for zooming with larger step, like SHIFT + > zoom? Your zoom series is ok too, but I'd like to keep even powers of two > zooms along the finer steps. That would mean sqrt(2) factor. Anyway this > should be configurable someway as otherwise we can not please every one :)
>

>> I have not tried eeschema. Drawing is faster there, but there could be
>> some advantage in making these similar.
>>

> Maybe less steps is a good compromise until drawing code gets worked on.

My array seems to work. We came from powers of two. I don't know why
that is important. sqrt(2) is a fractional power of two, not a true
integral power of two. So this is an overly theoretical goal.

The user experience is what's important here. So until we find bad
*actual experiences* with the code I proposed, I think we should run
with it.

I agree.
And shift and ctrl keys cannot be used as turbo keys because they are already in use (shift and ctrl + mouse wheel are H and V scrool functions)

I also believe zoom level > 1024.0 are not useful and could be removed (shorter list of zooms)

Jean-Pierre,

I agree, not useful for working. But it may come in handy when somebody uses a library import of a module (or foreign data) which has a bad coordinate in it. I think I remember doing this and not being able to back out far enough to see where the stray part was. If there is another way to address this issue, then the zoom out can be reduced, otherwise it might be handy.

At the larger zoom out factors, the only thing you might do is use a box to select objects for a subsequent move, bringing them back into the fold.

Dick