Re: Bug 2870835 Patch - Inconsistent Label Direction + some tidying

--- In kicad-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Patrick" <pmaupin@...> wrote:

> --- In kicad-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Brian Sidebotham <brian.sidebotham@> wrote:

> > > Have you approached the issue from the perspective of:
> > >
> > > a schematic conversion is done at time of first load, and the converted
> > > schematic uses an altogether new representation, such as a word vs. what
> > > was formerly a number or single character?
> > >
> > > The schematic loader then has to be able to recognize either of these
> > > representations for awhile.
> > >
> > > And when saving you use the new represenation. �This does notbreak old
> > > schematics, which everyone probably agrees we should never do.
> > >
> > > I have not spent any time on this, but it is a general idea that might
> > > be helpful. �As these file formats evolve, we are trying to get them to
> > > be more self documenting anyway.
> > >
> > > Dick
> >
> > No I hadn't at all! Thanks for your help Dick, I will go and investigate that.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Brian.
> >

> While you're looking at this, I noticed that on at least one of the labelkinds (forget which one), the left/right was inconsistent from the up/down. A fix for that would be nice.
>
> Also, while you're coding in this area, I personally don't like 3 different buttons for 3 different kinds of labels. Why can't I just say I want toplace a label, and then the dialog box lets me choose what kind? I mean, if I need to change an on-sheet label to a hierarchical one, I ought to be able to double-click, hit one radio button to change the type, another radio button to flip it over to the other side of the wire, and be done, right?
>
> Regards,
> Pat

Actually, in thinking about this one more time, it seems like the best definition for "up/down/right/left" would be "the direction the wire should go when it exits the connection point." (Or the opposite, whichever is easiest to document and describe.) In that case, it should be a single radio button to convert an on-sheet label to an off-sheet label. For on-sheet, the labeling should basically go above the wire, and for off-sheet, the labeling should go away from the wire.

Regards,
Pat