Re: Re: Would anyone else like English comments?

Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
> Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
>> Mateusz wrote:
>>
>>> Please keep in mind that it is an alpha version of this program. I haven't developed it further because nobody was interested.
>>>
>>> I am more than willing to improve/change it if you could give me some hints.
>>>
>>> I believe that maybe putting both translation is an option. Moreover I think we should mark somehow google translation to distinguish it from the original English remarks ( maybe //g & /*g )
>>>
>> Mateusz,
>>
>> JP has been slowly converting comments to English as his time permits.
>> I believe the project is moving towards English comments. JP can
>> probably comment on this better than I can. Having comments in multiple
>> languages may make the source code unreasonably cluttered. This may
>> also lead to some odd looking Doxygen output.
>>
>> Wayne
>>

> Mateusz,
>
> I agree with Wayne. Let's get it over to English. I would be in favor
> of doing the entire project just to get it done and switched over to
> English.
> Maybe this is something you and Wayne can work out. If it the
> conversion script gets to a point where it is doing a "decent job", then
> maybe some nearby weekend you guys could just convert everything over.

I am willing to help as time permits. This weekend is probably not
going to happen as I have some consulting work to do and I my desktop
computer is still down. If you just need me review the patches and
apply them to the source, I would prefer that you send me patches per
source directory. In other words, translate all of the files in common,
kicad, etc. so I don't have to review too much in a single patch.
Unless anyone else wants to review them, you can send the patches
directly to me.

> If you make it easy enough for Wayne, I suspect he would be willing to
> run the script and do a subsequent commit.

That would be even better as long as I don't have to do a lot of hand
holding to get it to work or a lot of manual clean up after the
translation is complete. If that is the case, then I would prefer the
translation be done on a per file basis and I could make several smaller
commits as I clean up each file.

> A "Decent Job" to me is:
>
> 1) can recognize French, and never takes any English as French. We
> don't want English being translated.
>
> 2) keeps comment textual formatting same, such as comment style and
> indentation.

3) The translation is sane. Remember the "pellets" translation in this
patch http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/kicad-devel/message/3273. Some
of the translations are useful. Some are no better then the French
comments.

> Imagine 3 conditions of French comments: a) where we are now, b) if
> all French comments were simply to be deleted from the project without
> translation, and c) where we would be after running the script.
>
> It is like a fork in the road.
>
> One could make a sensible argument that b) is better than a), and that
> c) is better than b).
>
> You might be surprised by my statement that b) is better than a), but I
> think the French comments are paralyzing to anybody who might otherwise
> be inclined to improve a comment manually.

Agreed. We could keep the translations that are usable and remove the
ones that do not make any sense.

Wayne