Re: wxDC zoom break through.

1) what code have you contributed to Kicad that was not for your own benefit and driven by your own needs? Or asked differently, what code have you contributed to Kicad which was motiviated 100 % selflessly, and was code for which you had no need?

The arc adjusting that I've written for instance is such an example; I have no direct use currently for it - still I've implemented it. Sure I'm mainly driven by my own needs.

(If the user is more important than what the developer likes, then it seems you should simply stand ready at you computer answering email and writing code for others, not for
yourself.)

Well, that's the other extreme - but not everything is just black & white.

2) Do you write code while on company time?

Define company time, I'm one of the founders. Thus any time is company time.

3) When working on company time, are you working for free? i.e. do you tell your employer, don't pay me while I work on Kicad?

I'm the employer :) Well, OK - sure I have mainly to do other things, thus of course my time for this project is restricted as I've written in my first posting. Basically we have to pay ourself.

4) if 2) is a yes, and 3) is a no, then who is paying for the contributions to Kicad?

That's hard to answer, because I'm a "special case" - one of the founders. The payment depends on our earnings (currently we are sponsored for one year however).

I guess your licensing concern cannot be articulated?

It wasn't my concern, Jean-Pierre has written that. It would be fine for me, if I can compile it with some tricks.

Thanks Torsten. You're an OK guy. Thanks for the dialog.

I encourage you to be conscious of the answer to number 4) however. Your answer may become more clear and change over time.

In my opinion your employer is paying for the contributions.

And we thank your employer for them! (And yes, I can read, I know who your employer is.) I still thank your employer.

Dick

Bye..
Torsten