Re: Graphics Abstraction Layer for KiCad

On Sun, 11 Jul 2010, "Torsten Hüter" wrote:

I'm not yet happy with the text quality on OpenGL - perhaps I'll try out textures for small texts. For a higher quality (OpenGL) you have to force antialiasing in the graphics card setup on your desktop.

Please tell me we're *not* going toward opengl only. I simply do not
have an opengl capable machine at work :( Actually, I'm using kicad in
remote X!

Also keep in mind that consumer GL cards are biased for fragment
operation (i.e. texture mapping) while the kind of usage in kicad (99%
lines) is stressing the geometry transformation part. That's the reason
because FireGLs happily overperformed consumer card, but only for
wireframe -- and 10x the price tag... You could render letters to
a texture in the 'mostly' used size, to do an effective glyph cache (in
fact that's what postscript does from the '80). Tuning said cache could
be tricky though...

On modern GPUs antialiasing should be 'free' since it's mostly
a fragment operation that could be split between graphic cores. But
also, consumer drivers are not famous for their optimization in
wireframe...

Also, do we keep the xor artifacts for reference? I really think they're
a lot useful.

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl