Re: Improving usability of KiCad

On 10/13/2010 10:01 AM, Alex G wrote:

> On 10/13/2010 05:48 PM, Marco Serantoni wrote:
>
>> Dick, we doesn't want that US will change its metric system, nor begin a
>> lesson of metrology.
>> Scientific international system is MKS, wxDC has also calls that returns
>> millimeters, the greatest part of the world population uses a metric
>> system, ISO 31 says the same,  don't you find those be good reasons to
>> switch the internal metric system to a metric one ?
>>

> Marco,
>
> We already agreed earlier in this thread to make a summarize the
> (re)implementation of the internal unit system. My understanding was
> that once enough developers agree to it, we can put it as a blueprint
> and those interested (myself included) can start work.
>
> Alex

Jean-Pierre has not objected.  There is probably some considerations
about extending the range of the zoom that come with this, and how the
UI is to handle that.  Will the zoom menu get too big, etc.  And some
other issues that still need to be discussed about the actual migration,
what that means in terms of saving a board, or a footprint (save as old,
save as new, or either).  Where we designate what the units are in those
saves.

I think it prudent to adopt your paragraph as the opening paragraph at
this point.  Then we should add a couple of more before the coding
begins.  Brian says he has already done some of this work.  There is no
harm in defining what is needed, and then going to see what he has
done.  If we do it the other way around, we might miss something.

Alex, go ahead and put your first paragraph out there if you don't mind.

Dick