Re: FindwxWidgets.cmake

On 7 April 2011 13:25, Wayne Stambaugh <stambaughw@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> There is the whole gnuwin32 collection of *.exe's.
>>>
>>>    http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/
>>>

>>> Some of these may need to be installed upfront manually or automatically.
>>> CMake does have some decompression technology in it, at least for tar.gz and
>>> maybe you have some choice on which source bundle you download in some
>>> cases, being careful to select one supported by CMake.   But I'll bet the
>>> Windows build of CMake is sub-setted in this support, aw crap.
>>
>> I have been looking at this tonight. In fact the built-in tar
>> functions of cmake are okay for the purposes of having wxWidgets as an
>> external project.
>>
>> I started by looking to see if cmake could automate the installation
>> of mingw. I'm not sure this is going to be possible. Cmake will not
>> seemingly process anything unless if finds a working compiler to begin
>> with. So although cmake is capable of downloading and running the
>> mingw installer on windows, it won't because there isn't already a
>> working compiler. A bit of a paradox really. CmakeForceCompiler.cmake
>> doesn't help here.
>>
>> Although, that said, installing MinGW on windows is now extremely
>> simple, it can be done on the command line, like so:
>>
>> mingw-get install gcc g++ gdb mingw32-make
>>
>> It's a shame this isn't a built-in Windows command!!
>>
>> So I think MinGW will have to stay as a pre-requisite to building
>> KiCad until that problem can be solved.
>
> MinGW is not a prerequisite.  Having a valid compiler is a prerequisite.  MSVC,
> Borland, etc are all valid generator targets for CMake.  Using CMake to
> download and build wxWidgets will be more beneficial to these users than MinGW
> users.  My guess is most MinGW users are likely to install MSYS which means you
> can build wxWidgets using autotools since this is the process described in the
> Kicad build documentation for windows.
>
> Wayne

Hi Wayne,

Sorry that sentence is not right. The cmake file I am working on is
not something to replace the KiCad build system, and therefore MinGW
will not be a pre-requisite for building KiCad.

This script is (currently) designed for windows users to generate an
environment in a vanilla windows shell where-upon KiCad can then be
built. In this case, the only compiler that can be automatically
downloaded and installed is MinGW.

MSYS is the currently documented build environment for Windows, but it
doesn't have to be used. KiCad can be built through the standard
windows shell using cmake -G "MinGW Makefiles".

All this is really just an experiment I think. It is not set to change
anything in the current KiCad project build system because KiCad is an
external project added using cmake's external_add function

Best Regards,

Brian.