Re: Kicad preference questions

On 05/09/2012 10:26 PM, Moses McKnight wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There are a few quirks with preferences in Kicad it seems.  I'm running
> Kicad on Ubuntu 12.04 from Adam's PPA.
>
> 1. The first is that the preferences file for eeschema has changed
> recently from .eeschema to .EESchema - is this intentional?

No, I would refer to that as a PITA, and it should have been fixed yesterday.

> 2. When I change the grid size it always goes back to 50 mils after I
> restart eeschema.  Shouldn't there be a way to save that?  I think it
> used to.

> 3. It seems to me it would make a lot more sense to put the library
> search paths in the .eeschema preferences file than in the project file.
>   Do people actually use different paths for library files for projects
> on the same computer?  For my projects the search paths will be the same
> for all projects on one computer, and maybe different on another
> computer.  When sharing projects with other developers we are having to
> change the search path every time we update from each other.

Library search paths are on their death bed.  You should not have to search for a library
after you know where it is.

New designs do away with this concept, and so if anyone steps up to fix the old paradigm,
it is only temporary.