Re: Kicad preference questions

On 05/10/2012 08:10 AM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
On 05/09/2012 10:26 PM, Moses McKnight wrote:
3. It seems to me it would make a lot more sense to put the library
search paths in the .eeschema preferences file than in the project file.
   Do people actually use different paths for library files for projects
on the same computer?  For my projects the search paths will be the same
for all projects on one computer, and maybe different on another
computer.  When sharing projects with other developers we are having to
change the search path every time we update from each other.

Library search paths are on their death bed.  You should not have to search for a library
after you know where it is.

New designs do away with this concept, and so if anyone steps up to fix the old paradigm,
it is only temporary.

That's good to hear! Are the new designs nearing completion? If not a temporary fix might be handy. In fact, simply adding a way to add to the system wide search paths would do what I need (and others that I'm working with). Then we can ignore user defined search paths but they will still be there unchanged for those who use them.

So, is there a place to add system wide search paths or are they hard-coded? I may try and dig into the code and figure some of this out.

In the new designs, when you add a symbol, does it have a tag telling which library it came from? Currently if two libraries have a part with the same name, the part will be pulled from the library that is listed first in the list. If the part on the schematic had a tag for the library it came from, things would be a lot more flexible.

Thanks,
Moses