Re: Kicad preference questions

Le 10/05/2012 18:21, Moses McKnight a écrit :
In the new designs, when you add a symbol, does it have a tag telling which library it came from? Currently if two libraries have
a part with the same name, the part will be pulled from the library that is listed first in the list. If the part on the schematic
had a tag for the library it came from, things would be a lot more flexible.

Thanks,
Moses

This is false, in fact things would be a lot less flexible.

This problem has already generated a lot of mails.
Many guys are saying: I want to choose the library the component come from.
(i.e. have a tag for the library it came from).
But nobody think: what happens if I move my component from a library to an other
(i.e. when the tagged component does not exists anymore in the tagged lib)

However this is a common case and should be supported,
because a schematic project is a living thing over the years, not just a thing made only once.

Fix it is certainly not trivial and cannot be fixed "just by adding a tag".
This needs a carefully designed (and complex) code.

--
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS