Re: Kicad preference questions

On 05/10/2012 02:34 PM, jean-pierre charras wrote:
Le 10/05/2012 18:21, Moses McKnight a écrit :
In the new designs, when you add a symbol, does it have a tag telling
which library it came from? Currently if two libraries have
a part with the same name, the part will be pulled from the library
that is listed first in the list. If the part on the schematic
had a tag for the library it came from, things would be a lot more
flexible.

Thanks,
Moses

This is false, in fact things would be a lot less flexible.

As you say below, it may not be trivial, but I can't see how it would be less flexible. For one thing it would allow two parts from different libraries with the same name to be on the same schematic without changing the name of one of them (this may not be too important but it is a little more flexible).

This problem has already generated a lot of mails.
Many guys are saying: I want to choose the library the component come from.
(i.e. have a tag for the library it came from).
But nobody think: what happens if I move my component from a library to
an other
(i.e. when the tagged component does not exists anymore in the tagged lib)

However this is a common case and should be supported,
because a schematic project is a living thing over the years, not just a
thing made only once.

Hmmm, I did not think about that either, but this was a quick idea and I wondered if the new library design had something like this.

Fix it is certainly not trivial and cannot be fixed "just by adding a tag".
This needs a carefully designed (and complex) code.

I guess the thought I had was that the tag would only be in the symbol in the schematic. Now that I think about it a little more, I would think it could work almost just as it does currently. If the symbol gets moved to a different library, it would load the symbol from the cache for the project just as it does now when the library is missing. There could be a note in the edit dialog that the part is not in the library it references any more or something.

Anyways, I'll try and get time to work on understanding the code and maybe I can start to help with something.

Thanks,
Moses